Monday, April 20, 2009

Decisions, Decisions!

Before I get too far into this, I do want to let you know that my mom, Maggie, and Emily are all home from the hospital and are recovering at home. I'm sorry I didn't get this posted earlier.


As we are preparing for this upcoming move, there are a plethora of decisions that need to be made. Should we keep something or thow it out? Alexandria, Woodbridge, or Stafford? Older home or newer? While some of these are time consuming in the thought process, they're all minor compared to some bigger decisions that need to be made.


One such decision is the one that is faced by my mom. She has to make the decision of whether to continue with treatment for her cancer or stop it. While things started off well, she is at the point that the radiation is significantly altering her lifestyle. Eating and drinking has been a struggle to her and causes much pain. There is nothing more frustrating than to see her in pain and not be able to do anything about it. We did go to see the radiology doctor today and received a couple of new meds. Hopefully they will help. No one has been able to tell us based on past experience how long they think this treatment will extend her life. While we realize that only God knows the number of our days, estimates in this area would prove helpful. The doctors did say that barring a traffic accident or something similar, this cancer is what would ultimately take her life. Our thoughts are, does the cost in side effects outweigh the promise of a longer life. Something that makes you say, "hmmm." This isn't a matter of what color cabinets are in the kitchen, but a real life and death decision. I have promised my mom that I will support her decision either way. While the thought of losing her is devastating, seeing her suffer is even worse. We do believe that God could use His power to supernaturally heal her. However, we have surrendered to the fact that He is soverign and will do what He wants to accomplish His purposes and bring glory to Himself.


I had an important decision to make once. That was the decision to make Jesus Christ my Savior and Lord. I was only 7 years old, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I knew that way back Adam and Eve had disobeyed and caused havoc for all the world. With disobedience, there was punishment - eternal death. As a 7 year old, punishment was easy to understand. Then I learned that Jesus, a man who walked the Earth, God's Son took the punishment for MY disobedience by His death on the cross. Not only that, but he came back to life three days later! I'm sure most everyone believes that. The Bible even says that the devil does. Not only did I decide to believe that He is my Savior from an eternity in hell, but I chose to make Him my Lord. I want Him to help me make other decisions and direct my life. So far, He's done a pretty good job. The mistakes come when I have my say and not Him.


My mom has made that decision as well. Jesus is her Savior and Lord. When cancer does take over her earthly body, her soul will be in Heaven - forever. Now that's a way to live in a Mansion!


So I have some questions for our readers. What would you do if you were in her situation? Would you continue treatment? Is it wrong not to? I will add, that this isn't like some of the "curable" (5-10+ years survival rate) cancers. They say half of lung cancer patients die within a year. We want to do the right thing for everyone involved. Proverbs 15:22 says, "Without counsel, plans go awry. But in the multitude of counselors they are established." Also - have you made the decision to make Jesus your Savior and Lord? If not, and it's a decision you want to make, give us a call sometime.

No comments: